Friday, October 7, 2011

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

            For the past year, I have kept the book Graceling by Kristen Cashore sitting undisturbed on my night stand just waiting to be read.  I can’t explain why I hadn’t read it immediately.  There were just other books that seemed to take president, while Graceling sat there patiently waiting to be picked up.  When all other books that I deemed more interesting to read have all been finished, I finally picked the book up.  After getting through the first half of the book, I wish I would have picked it up sooner.  Who knew I had such a captivating book, for such a long time, just sitting inches away from my grasp every night. 

            It has been a while since I’ve read a leading female character that was stronger both physically and mentally than her romantic interest.  The story tells of a girl who is a Graceling.  Gracelings are marked by their two different colored eyes and each have a special talent.  Katsa’s talent is fighting.  Though it would seem that such talents would be viewed as a gift, they are viewed as a curse.  Parents watch their babies grow in fear that they may have such a curse and will be taken away from them and given to the king, if he views their talent useful to him. 

            This is the fate of Katsa.  Though she has been the king’s assassin all her life, she forms a secret council who carry secret missions to help the innocent and bring justice to those who abuse their power.  It isn’t until she meets Prince Po, she starts to question what really is holding her in the king’s power.

            This book had all the elements that I love: adventure, romance and suspense.  I would defiantly recommend the book to others.  It was a great lazy Sunday afternoon read.

No comments:

Post a Comment