Need your bad boy fill? Author, Simone Elkeles is your girl! In this third installment of the Fuentes brothers, we now follow the youngest of the clan, Luis. Unlike his two brothers, Luis is carefree and ambitious. In the beginning of the book, he meets Nikki Cruz at his older brother, Alex’s wedding. The meeting is memorable, one that leaves Luis naked looking for his clothes on a beach and Nikki laughing at his misfortune. Nevertheless, though Nikki believes she already pegged Luis as a player and has a great dislike of him immediately, she can’t deny her attraction to him. And there is something about Nikki that stands out to Luis. Possibly because she doesn’t give into his charms as quickly as other girls may have? Or is it that she gives it just as good as she gets it?
Fast forward 2 years later…Luis and his Mi’ ama move back to Chicago where he encounters Nikki once again at school. Coincidentally they share Mrs. Peterson’s chemistry class. The same formula in Elkeles’s previous Fuentes brother’s novel is used once again: Luis get’s sucked into gang life while trying to keep a relationship with Nikki, after she finally stops thwarting his advances.
I could see how this book wanted to be different from the last two but it was too much the same of the previous novels. When I read the summary on Amazon, I was expecting a different book. Instead of the good girl falling for a bad boy, I was hoping that it was more good boy falls for bad girl. I do enjoy how Elkeles uses two points of view when she is writing her books. I also liked how she wove in Luis’s brothers updated lives in this story as well. Though, I would have also liked more of a build up with the relationship between Nikki and Luis.
Would I recommend this book? Probably not. Not that it was a bad book, it just wasn’t very different from the previous novels.
Rating (out of 5 stars)
Palm Tingling Romance: ***
Can’t Put Book Down, Must Find Out What Happens Next: **
Release Date: Currently in stores. J
No comments:
Post a Comment